Heiko Maas said on the air of Welt TV channel:
- We will talk to Biden’s administration about how to make sure that the project, which is almost complete, does did lead to what they fear, namely its use as a means of political pressure on Ukraine
However, Maas stressed that:
- Germany was working to prevent such developments and to ensure Ukraine's security in this matter
- Everything else does not depend on us
- Ukraine will not be excluded from transit
- Berlin pays great attention to this issue
- We have always told the Russian side that we will jointly complete this project only if there is an alternative route for gas transit through Ukraine
- This transit provides Kiev with $2 billion in revenue annually
He argued that Germany and Europe had been buying Russian gas for decades, since the Cold War and the Soviet Union times.
The German foreign minister also said that the EU and the United States should speak to Russia «in clear terms».
The 1st meeting between the presidents of the United States and Russia is scheduled for June 16 in Geneva.