White House outlined this week on January 2021 Joe Biden's negative attitude about the Nord Stream 2 gas project.
President Biden has also opposed Nord Stream 2 in the past.
White House Press Secretary Jennifer Psaki said:
- The president continues to believe, that Nord Stream 2 is a bad deal for Europe
- We're aware that the previous administration imposed new restrictions on activities related to the pipeline under the National Defense Authorization Act [NDAA], and we will be reviewing those measures
German government's´s spokesman S. Seibert said that Germany «took note of» the European Parliament’s resolution demanding the suspension of Nord Stream 2, but this has «not changed» its position regarding the pipeline project.
Gustav Gressel, senior policy fellow at the European Council on Foreign Relations, told Euronews:
- the Germans are in a strange state that neither the Europeans nor the Americans understand
- they claim that this is purely a commercial project and that it's Germany's right to conduct such a project
- it bypasses European law, because they effectively found a loophole under which to construct it and they want to go ahead with it
«There will also be different opinions with the Biden administration,» Merkel said last week. «Don't think that from tomorrow on there will only be agreement; there will also be different opinions.»