Ilham Aliyev said during the meeting:
- BP is our strategic partner, the company which participated from the very beginning in the major projects in Azerbaijan as an investor
- After the prolongation of the Contract of the Century our cooperation will continue for many more decades
- We hope that there will be more discoveries from BP-operated fields. We have good prospects for that.
- We established a very probably the unique format of cooperation between the countries of our region and the European Union, and with the strong support from the governments of the U.K. and the U. S.
- We will have the 7th meeting of the Advisory Council of the Southern Gas Corridor in 2 days’ time where we will review the achievements and look forward to future cooperation
- Investments from the UK to Azerbaijan helped us a lot to modernize the country. These investments were mainly in the energy sector, almost $30 billion.
- It allowed us to use properly the revenues from oil & gas sales to diversify the economy
- I am sure that for the coming years our major area of concentration will be the non-energy sector development of Azerbaijan
BP arrived in Azerbaijan and opened its first office in Baku in June 1992.
BP-operated there world-class projects:
- Azeri-Chirag-Gunashli (ACG),
- Shah Deniz,
- South Caucasus Pipeline (SCP).