The installation of the reactor pressure vessel started on 14 September 2021.
In the course of this operation during the next 2 weeks, the reactor was moved via the transportation lock inside the reactor building containment.
After that the 334-ton structure was installed into the design position with a polar crane with a tolerance of one 10th of millimeter.
Alexey Likhachev said:
- Today Rooppur NPP has witnessed the important milestone of the year of 2021 - the reactor pressure vessel of Unit № 1 has been installed in the design position.
- Rooppur NPP project that is being implemented in Bangladesh has accumulated the best Russian practice and dozens of years of experience and scientific thoughе
- The development of nuclear power industry will not only resolve the problem of energy supply in Bangladesh but will also contribute to the development of the region and enhance the living standards of the people
- Today is a day of pride for us as the Reactor Pressure Vessel is being set up at unit-1 of Rooppur Nuclear Plant
- And by this we confirm our strong presence in the nuclear world through using nuclear technology for peaceful purpose
- After being convinced about safety and management of nuclear waste at the meeting with President Putin, i decided to go for nuclear
- As this technology doesn't have carbon emmission, hence it is eco-friendly and and help fight adverse effect of climate change
- This power station will help us achieve SDG goals by 2030 in line with our development plan and facilitate graduation to a developed nation in 2041
The Russian design with VVER-1200 reactors that had been successfully implemented at Novovoronezh NPP- 2 was selected for the 1st NPP in Bangladesh.
This is an evolutionary Gen III+ design which fully complies with all international safety requirements.