Alexander Voronkov, CEO of Rosatom Regional Center in the Middle East and Northern Africa region, said:
- VVER nuclear reactors - water-water energy reactor - are a crucial product that Rosatom offers in its bidding portfolio
- Russia has proposed installing the hydro energy reactors to the 1st NPP, which Saudi Arabia plans to build in coming years
To date, no VVER-equipped power plant has registered any serious mishap, which favors the technology when compared to its many competitors in the international market, explained Voronkov.
Since October 2017, Rosatom has been engaged in competitive talks for helping establish Saudi Arabia's 1st NPP.
In December 2017, Rosatom and the King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy signed a roadmap for cooperation in the peaceful use of nuclear energy.
Voronkov pointed out that:
- Rosatom is involved in NPP construction projects in 12 countries worldwide
- The focus on Russian projects with VVER-1200 reactors offers safety that is of particular importance to countries new to the nuclear industry, such as Saudi Arabia
- Our gained experience allows us to support the client at any stage of the implementation of any nuclear project