The effort continues to build upon Aker BP and Cognite’s bold digital agenda to transform the industry through digitalization, which will result in improved efficiency, safety, and sustainability offshore.
This recent endeavor signals a significant opportunity to transform the oil and gas industry worldwide.
The mobility of Spot offshore, and the communication between Spot, Cognite Data Fusion and Aker BP was both verified and tested.
Data from Spot was available and sorted in Cognite Data Fusion in milliseconds, and Spot was remote controlled from a Cognite home office onshore demonstrating how robots and digital twins can have synergies and enhance each other.
In addition, data from an operator round was collected to analyze if the sensor-stack on Spot was sufficient to comply with the proposed task.
Karl Hersvik, CEO of Aker BP, said:
- We are eager to explore how robotics systems can make offshore operations safer, more efficient, and more sustainable.
- The Spot offshore visit at the Skarv FPSO is one small step towards Aker BP’s vision to digitalize all our operations from cradle to grave to increase productivity, enhance quality, and improve the safety of our employees.
- Missions like these demonstrate Spot’s value in difficult environments.
- Cognite continues to excel in testing and validating Spot’s ability to reduce risk to humans and provide value in the energy industry.
- This historic pairing of minds and machines working together to solve industry problems demonstrates that data driven decisions can change industry now;
- This ability to guide Spot by remote control is a huge step forward for the industry and something we will continue to work closely with our partners on as we continue to innovate and provide data driven solutions.