In a teleconference, Egypt hosted the signing ceremony of the EMGF, with the participation of 7 ministers from different countries across the East Mediterranean region.
The Egyptian minister Tarek El Molla said:
- Now is the era of co-operation in the Eastern Mediterranean. Gas is a resource for energy but is also a catalyst for peace;
- The EU needs alternative sources of gas and energy, this will come from the Eastern Mediterranean.
Cyprus Energy Minister Natasa Pilides said:
- the Gas Forum is open to all countries that have an interest in the region, as long as all the founding members agree unanimously on their participation;
- it a historic day and true milestone for regional cooperation in energy production.
- The discussion forum upgraded to a real regional organisation.
- The deal is the first of its kind, noting export deals for the transportation of gas to Jordan and Egypt.