The companies can bid until March 3.
Minister for resources, water and Northern Australia Keith Pitt said the release comprises 21 areas across the Bonaparte, Browse, Carnarvon, Otway, Sorell and Gippsland basins off Western Australia, Victoria, Tasmania and Ashmore and Cartier Islands.
- The annual acreage release is a crucial component of the government's gas-fired recovery plan
- It is vitally important that Australians have access to reliable and affordable energy both now and in the future
All areas are available for work-program bidding.
The minister said:
- This year’s release provides opportunities in established oil & gas provinces with existing infrastructure as well as under-explored areas offshore Victoria, also within reach of existing infrastructure
- This is consistent with the drive to deliver current projects as well as the potential to increase supply into the east coast market,
- The continued release of areas for exploration is important to providing a steady supply of energy for the future
- I would welcome and encourage industry bidding on the released areas