In recent days, a growing number of migrants have been flocking to the Belarus border with Poland.
The EU has accused Belarus of stoking the tensions and the border crisis and of attempting «a hybrid attack» on the EU border.
The EU bloc is already said to be considering another round of sanctions against Belarus.
Alexander Lukashenko, the leader of Belarus, warned on Thursday that his country could shut gas flows via the Yamal-Europe pipeline from Russia to Germany, which crosses Belarus and Poland.
Lukashenko said on Thursday, as quoted by Belarusian state news agency Belta:
- We provide heat to Europe, and they are threatening us with the border closure
- What if we block natural gas transit?
- Therefore, I would recommend the leadership of Poland, Lithuanians and other brainless folk to think hard before opening mouth
- But it is up to them, they are welcome to close the border
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs should warn everyone in Europe that if they impose additional sanctions, indigestible and unacceptable for us, we will hit back
The volumes and the transportation routes for the gas flows have been determined, Gazprom said in a brief statement on Tuesday, easing concerns on the market and sending prices lower on Tuesday morning.
Author: Tsvetana Paraskova