Novak said, according to the statement:
- We believe that Russia and Saudi Arabia, as the 2 largest energy powers, should carefully approach decarbonization, and prevent the artificial acceleration of 'greening' the international agenda, at the expense of the sustainability of national energy sectors
- Saudi Arabia is an important partner for Russia in the Middle East, we have built a relationship based on mutual trust
Novak called for increasing cooperation between the 2 countries on climate projects.
- We advocate promoting cooperation in various areas, including the ambitious environmental programs announced by your country - the Saudi and Middle East Green Initiatives
- They may become not only an important component of global efforts on the environment, but also an attractive example to put forward for similar projects by other countries
During the visit Novak said that despite the development of carbon neutral power, hydrocarbons will continue to play a key role in global markets.
- We see significant potential here for gas – the cleanest hydrocarbon power source
- At the same time it is obvious that it is necessary to increase efficiency and make hydrocarbons more environmentally friendly through the use of the most modern technology
Russian President Vladimir Putin recently announced that Russia plans to be carbon neutral by no later than 2060.
- If we talk about the current energy balance of Russia, it is already one of the most diversified and cleanest in the world