MCP connects the main equipment of the reactor plant - reactor, steam generators, and reactor coolant pumps, thus shaping the NPP primary circuit.
Akkuyu Nuclear CEO Anastasia Zoteeva said:
- Welding of the main circulation pipeline is one of the key stages in the power unit construction
- While reactor vessel is often compared to the heart of a nuclear power plant, the main circulation pipeline is its main artery
- During the NPP operation water at a temperature up to 330 degrees C continuously circulates through it
- Only special pipes with 70 mm wall thickness can withstand such loads, therefore pipeline welding is a complex and high-tech operation, which is subject to the most stringent requirements
- The completion of the welding operation will be the starting point for open reactor circulation tests
- At this stage we will check the free flow of the pipelines, perform their post-installation cleaning, and confirm the readiness of the equipment for the next stage – reactor start-up
It provides corrosion resistance to the pipeline, increases durability of welded joints and ensures the pipeline's operating lifetime of at least 60 years, as stipulated by the project design.
During the installation, specialists will have to weld 28 pipeline joints, assemble about 260 tons of pipes and steel structures, as well as to perform welded joints quality control.