The daily output of electricity produced by the BelNPP 1st unit is higher than the daily production of the 4 power systems of Mogilev, Minsk, Gomel and Grodno combined.
Viktor Karankevich said:
- This does not mean that there is a substitution for the electricity generated by the CHP plants
- The BelNPP performs its function in the united energy system, while the plants located in the regional energy systems work to provide heating and hot water supply of large settlements and, accordingly, the electricity in the co-generation cycle
This is almost half of the country's annual electricity consumption.
The commissioning of 2 BelNPP power units will significantly reduce Belarus' dependence on hydrocarbon fuel.
The minister said:
- The plant will replace about 4.5 billion m3 of natural gas per year, while the annual volume of its import averages about 20 billion m3
- Savings on imported natural gas will amount to about $550 million per year
The results include:
- the construction of construct high-voltage power grids with a total length of 1,600 km
- modernization of 4 backbone substations
- the commissioning of a high-tech 330kV substation Postavy
The minister added:
- Despite the fact that we pay a lot of attention to the construction of the NPP and the development of power grid infrastructure, we still view the work to improve the efficiency of existing generation facilities as no less important
- Systematic work will be organized at such facilities to replace equipment and improve its efficiency
- This is envisaged in our industry development program