Alexey Likhachev, Director General of Rosatom, said:
- Today, we are witnessing a historic event
- The 1st Gen III+ power unit constructed by Rosatom abroad has been put into commercial operation
- This is the result of a great deal of work carried out by a team of highly qualified specialists from the 2 countries, the evidence of reliability and efficiency of Russian nuclear technologies and our common success
- Now, you will need such a key no earlier than in 80 years, to close the plant only
- Handing over to the Belarusian colleagues the symbolic key from the country’s 1st nuclear power unit, I can say with full confidence that Belarus has become the owner of the most modern and safe facility
Belarus NPP having 2 VVER-1200 reactors with the total capacity of 2400 MW is being constructed in Ostrovets.
The main feature of the VVER-1200 is a unique combination of active and passive safety systems providing NPP with maximum resistance to external and internal impacts.
Thus, all power units are equipped with the «core catcher» - a core melt localization device of the nuclear reactor, as well as other passive safety systems capable to work without power supply and an operator’s participation.