The event is the 1st online bilateral exchange at the head-of-state level between the 2 sides since the beginning of this year.
Vladimir Putin noted:
- Russian and Chinese specialists are working on this flagship joint project which is truly a milestone
- They are building powerful, modern Russian-designed nuclear reactors that meet all safety and environmental standards
- It is planned that they will start operating as soon as in 2026–2028
- It can be said that Russia-China relations have reached their highest level in history.
I am convinced that Russia and China will have many more ambitious and successful projects together
The project was officially launched as the 1st tank of cement was poured at the construction site of the power plants.
Xi Jinping said:
- This is yet another major achievement of our bilateral cooperation.
- 1st of all, it is necessary to make safety top priority and to create an example of global nuclear energy cooperation.
- 2nd, it is necessary to strive for innovation-based development and to strengthen scientific and technical cooperation in the nuclear sphere
- 3rd, it is necessary to steadily expand strategic interaction that contributes to the coordinated development of the global energy management system
- Today, combating climate change is the common challenge for all countries
- As responsible powers, China and Russia must broaden the understanding of these challenges, promote the implementation of even more ambitious projects for low-carbon cooperation similar to these 4 blocks, and play a constructive role in the implementation of the goals of global sustainable development
Currently, there are 5 VVER-1200-equipped power units successfully operating in Russia and beyond.
Russia and China’s joint nuclear energy project is being implemented as part a series of strategic agreements signed in 2018.