Alongside Tenaris and Siad, the energy services company will now start the design phase for a decarbonisation facility in northern Italy.
Francesco Caio, CEO of Saipem, commented:
- The agreement with Tenaris and Siad confirms Saipem’s role in offering cutting-edge technological solutions for reducing environmental impact
- The participation in this project consolidates our strategy of decarbonization in industrial sectors and confirms the role of Saipem as the ideal partner for Net Zero
Michele Della Briotta, chief executive of TenarisDalmine, said:
- This project is part of Tenaris’s goal to reduce by 30% its CO2 emissions by 2030
- In Italy we are actively working towards this goal through investments and projects to reduce air pollution, to promote energy efficiency and to reduce raw material consumption as well as to increase the content of recycled material in our products, along with the valorization and reuse of our by-products
Saipem’s technology allows for the use of waste heat whilst avoiding the use of toxic substances used in other processes.
The MoU among the three companies is structured in various phases, the 1st of which will be a feasibility study.
Bernardo Sestini, CEO of SIAD, added:
- SIAD participates in this project because we are convinced that innovation, which has always been one of our values, is the basis for the development of environmental sustainability
- The CO2 can be used by our customers for innovative applications in the environmental and food sectors, such as the production of micronutrients from algae or low-impact hydroponic farming
- The recovery and use of CO2 enables the development of an increasingly circular and sustainable economy
Author: Hamish Penman