The development will also support the storage of carbon dioxide (CO2) captured from other industrial facilities – paving the way for large-scale decarbonization of the Texas Gulf Coast industrial corridor.
Dave Lawler, President of bp America, said:
- The energy expertise in Texas and strong supply chains have been generations in the making
- This new low carbon energy project will help us leverage those strengths for the next chapter of the energy transition
- In particular, it can help decarbonize hard-to-abate industries for the greatest potential impact on emissions while protecting jobs
As part of the project, bp will develop and permit the geological storage sites for permanent sequestration of the CO2.
Dan Yankowski, President of Linde Gases North America, said:
- Linde is committed to lowering absolute carbon emissions 35% by 2035 and reaching climate neutrality by 2050
- Capturing the CO2 from our hydrogen production plants in the Houston area will be a significant step towards achieving these goals