Mark Zuckerberg posted on his Facebook page:
- With Earth Day soon, I'm happy to share that Facebook's operations are now 100% supported by renewable energy.
- We've reached net zero emissions for our operations and we're one of the largest buyers of renewable energy in the world
The social network said in the last 3 years, it cut down on its greenhouse gas emissions by 94%, surpassing its 75% reduction goal.
Eoghan Griffin, sustainability manager for EMEA at Facebook, said:
- We have massively and rapidly ramped up our progress on climate, we’re now working with energy providers to procure enough renewable energy to run our offices and our data centres
- Say for example we are going to build a data centre
- We know roughly how much energy it takes to run it, so we will work in partnership with an energy provider very early on in that process, giving them a sense of the market
- That way we are able to commit to it up front and they are able to fund the infrastructure, whether that’s solar panels or wind turbines
The S&P 500 SPX, -0.41% is up 9.8% in the same timeframe.
Facebook has jumped 71% over the past year.