Gazprom´s spokesman Sergey Kupriyanov said:
- Taking into account Moldova’s very difficult economic and financial situation and being guided by the desire to keep Moldova's ability to pay off its debt obligations to Gazprom, as well as the position of the Russian President, the Moldovan side has repeatedly turned to for assistance, Gazprom decided to sign the contract practically on the terms of the Moldovan side
- But with a significant and important point: Moldova is to make current payments for gas 100% on time
- The deadline for the next current payment is November 22
- In this regard, Gazprom, in accordance with the contract, notified the Moldovan side that in 48 hours gas supplies to Moldova will be stopped
- Gazprom is strongly disappointed with Moldova's failure to fulfill its contractual obligations
The contract was extended for 5 years, Gazprom started pumping gas to Moldova on November 1.
Under the new contract, Moldova agreed to pay $450 per 1,000 m3 of gas.
Moldovagaz CEO Vadim Ceban stated that the company received a notification from Gazprom.
The company is waiting for financial assistance from the Moldovan government to settle current payments with Gazprom.
Moldovagaz noted that payment obligations were not fulfilled on time, since in October the company had a balance of payments deficit due to an increase in the purchase price for natural gas from $ 126.70 per 1000 m3 in the 1st quarter to $ 800.62 per 1000 m3 in October.