The US made the move unilaterally, without its European allies.
Biden said at the White House:
- I am announcing the United States is targeting the main artery of Russia's economy
- We're banning all imports of Russian oil & gas and energy
- This is a step that we’re taking to inflict further pain on Putin
- But there will be costs as well here in the United States
The Europeans imported about 4.5 million barrels per day of oil.
A senior Biden administration official said:
- The U.S. will give companies 45 days to wind down existing contracts for Russian energy supplies
79% of Americans said they favored a ban on Russian oil imports even if the prohibition increased energy prices in the U.S, according to data from a new Wall Street Journal poll.