That's according to President V. Zelensky who spoke in an interview with ICTV , Ukrinform reports.
- We said there would be a shortage in the gas market
- And that Russia will use it to push for the really rapid launch of Nord Stream 2
- It was clear to us that we would be facing these challenges, but we have our own gas and our people will remain secure
- Nevertheless, we talked about the threats to the energy security of entire Europe
- Now we are being heard, now the reaction is coming in
The president stressed that once the construction of Nord Stream 2 is completed, it is yet to be launched, therefore stressing the importance of all requirements of the EU's Third Energy Package being applied.
He noted that Russia has been opposing these prospects and thus exploiting gas supply issues to exert pressure on Europe.
The president said:
- I think Europe is in shock over a $2,000 price tag
- I think they were counting on $300-$400 and ready, in case of shortage, for up to $500-$600, but up to $2,000 – no one foresaw such a hike
- That is, you and I see powerful weapons, besides the shots fired, besides Russia's powerful weaponry in the form of information policy, cyber arms, a new weapon has emerged, which is energy. Nobody knows the consequences this weapon is about to bring as we are yet to pass winter
- Europe is yet to pass winter, we'll see what happens next, what happens next spring