The document was signed on December 15 between the energy ministries of the 2 countries.
A new gas pipeline will pass through the Azerbaijan’s liberated territories to Nakhchivan, and from there to Turkish Igdir.
Turkish Energy Minister Fatih Dönmez said:
- the Turkey-Nakhchivan natural gas pipeline will ensure the security of Nakhchivan’s energy supply via natural gas, which will flow through Turkey to the Azerbaijani exclave;
- after the liberation of Karabakh from the occupation, the natural gas needed for Nakhchivan will also be supplied from the Igdir-Nakhchivan gas pipeline;
The project will be carried out in cooperation with Turkey's Petroleum Pipeline Company (BOTAŞ) and Azerbaijan’s state energy company SOCAR.
Azerbaijani Energy Minister Parviz Shahbazov said:
- the new project will further expand and strengthen relations between Azerbaijan and Turkey;
- Nakhchivan currently receives gas mainly through Iran. The supply of Azerbaijani gas through Turkey will help Nakhchivan meet its gas demand.
- I hope that soon the Azerbaijani state oil company SOCAR and the Turkish company BOTAŞ will implement this project;
- a total of 8.1 billion m3 (bcm) of natural gas has flowed through the pipeline TANAP since its inauguration in June 2018 thanks to successful cooperation between the 2 countries.
- to date, 70 million m3 of natural gas flowed to the pipeline TAP for filling purposes.
Read in russian