The ground breaking ceremony was attended by senior petrochemical officials including the PGPIC Managing Director Jafar Rabiei.
He noted that:
- this complex is the biggest petrochemical complex in Mahshahr Petrochemical Special Economic Zone and when completed it will provide direct job opportunities for 5 000 people
- 1 olefin unit with a production capacity of 1.26 tons of ethylene
- 420 000 tons of propylene
- 5 polymer units including 2 units of high-density polyethylene (HDP)
- 1 unit of linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE)
- 1 unit of polypropylene
- 1 monoethylene glycol (MEG) unit
- a butadiene unit
- the 1st phase of which includes the construction of the olefin unit with 5 relevant storage tanks and cooling towers
- the rest of the units will be built and commissioned in the 2nd phase
In July 2019, the managing director of Iran’s NPC unveiled a plan for the construction of a new petrochemical hub in this Special Economic Zone in order to add up to 6 million tons of new capacity to the zone.