During an interview, Bayramov said that the construction of TAP has reached its conclusion thanks also to the strong determination and support of the Italian authorities.
An important role in Italian-Azerbaijani relations was played by TAP.
- Natural gas flow to Italy, as well as to Bulgaria and Greece, via TAP commenced on 31st December 2020
- The operationalization of the Southern Gas Corridor (SGC) is a practical outcome of the strategic partnership with the EU
- The SGC contributes to the EU energy security as well as energy transition objectives in a concrete, clear and predictable manner by bringing alternative gas volumes to the EU from alternative sources
- It helps to enhance competitive price setting in the natural gas market of the EU
- Completion and full operationalization of the SGC is not the end of the story
- We will continue to develop our energy resources by focusing on promising gas fields
Azerbaijani Minister of Foreign Affairse said:
- This is the beginning of a new and important stage in the wider regional cooperation
- We are ready to embark on a new journey with our partners in Europe to deliver natural gas volumes from Azerbaijan to Western Balkans
- However, it should be noted that the energy companies are now diversifying their investments from fossil fuels towards renewables in the fight against climate change
Azerbaijan also established a legal framework for cooperation with Italy in the field of green energy and renewables.