The cargo will enable Shell to supply further carbon neutral gas to the UK domestic market.
Elena Burmistrova, Director General of Gazprom Export said:
- This deal, 1st ever for Gazprom Group of the kind, closed together with our long term partner Shell confirms once again the ability of the gas industry to contribute to achieving climate goals;
- Natural gas is the cleanest fossil fuel in terms of emissions;
- Through the additional efforts to decrease emissions along with the broad activity aimed at offsetting the impact for environment, natural gas will remain a key element of global energy for decades ahead.
- We are grateful to Gazprom for partnering with us in delivering the 1st carbon neutral LNG cargo in Europe;
- We have already delivered 7 carbon neutral cargoes in Asia and are very excited to be able to now offer this to customers in the UK;
- Carbon neutral LNG cargoes are another choice we are offering our customers as they seek to reduce their net carbon footprint well to wheel and also offer the same choice to their end customers;
- Using nature-based carbon credits to compensate for emissions that cannot be avoided or reduced is an important step as we find more ways to reduce emissions across the LNG value chain.
An average LNG cargo of about 70,000 tonnes emits approximately 240,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) across the value chain, the company said.